Friday, July 31, 2009

Plant Spotlight: Echinacea 'Magnus' aka Cone Flower


Ever since I was a child I have been in love with Sunflowers. I would grow them every year in my parents yard, I would doodle them, photograph them... we had a very serious relationship, the sunflower and I. Until this year. Seems another flower has caught my eye... and for good reason! The Echinacea 'Magnus' (aka Cone Flower) is stealing my heart. I first noticed this flower in the nursery this summer. I would walk by, it would catch my eye, and I'd have to take a picture of it. I have about a million pictures of this pretty little flower. It is very photogenic! But it wasn't until this week that Echinacea and I got serious. I learned a lot about Echinacea preparing our weekly email. As it turns out, Echinacea 'Magnus' is not only beautiful, and pink (my favorite color), but is very easy to care for. It's also native. It is drought tolerant. It is a long blooming perennial. It was the 1998 Perennial Plant of the Year. It's everything my sunflowers weren't.
The Echinacea 'Magnus' makes a beautiful cut flower, and is a perfect border for your perennial bed. An exceptionally hardy perennial that is heat and drought tolerant. Grow in full sun to light shade in average, well-drained soil. Plants grow to 3' tall. Flowers are in full color from July-Sept and attract butterflies and bees. Hardy in zones 3-10.
I feel this is the start of a very beautiful relationship for the Echinacea 'Magnus' and I. I look forward to many more seasons with it!
Have Echinacea 'Magnus' in your garden? Share you pictures with us!
~Jennie, New Echinacea Admirer
PS- Check out our weekly specials!

No comments:

Post a Comment