Thursday, June 10, 2010

You Say Tomato... I say... More Tomatoes!

The latest installment of garden goodness from Ryan Smartt!

You Say Tomato…I Say…More Tomatoes!
Like I said in my blog last week, I am not an expert gardener. However, throughout my vegetable-growing trials and tribulations the past few years, I have had one consistently successful crop: tomatoes. Whether I’ve started indoors with seeds, or transplanted store-bought vines directly into the ground, I always have lots of tomatoes. Of all shapes and sizes. In fact, last year, my tomato plants produced well into November. Which is perfect because my three year-old daughter devours tomatoes any time, any place.
Are my experiences with tomatoes blind luck? What’s going on here? Is there something about the Virginia soil? We all know about Hanover tomatoes, so maybe this region has magical tomato-producing goodness in the ground. Whatever the case, from the looks of things, I plan to have another strong tomato season. (Hopefully into November again.) Check out the latest edition of Garden Wars to see for yourself.
Have you had luck growing tomatoes? Why or why not? Are there any specific tomato plant foods you use? Do you have any theories (or facts) about the success of tomatoes in central Virginia?
Share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment