Thursday, July 8, 2010

To Seed or Not To Seed

Ryan's (@rsmartt) gardening saga continues.....
To Seed or not To Seed?
Every year, before I start my vegetable garden, I ask myself….should I use seeds or buy existing plants?
I see pros and cons to both.
When you use already grown plants, it’s as easy as digging a hole, planting them outdoors and taking care of them. However, it’s more expensive…and I personally feel like it’s cheating. I mean, all the hard work was already done for you, right?
When you use seeds, there’s an inexplicable pleasure in watching something grow out of the ground, and then enjoying the fruits of your labor. However, it’s much more work. Sometimes you have to start indoors (which could become a problem when you have a curious 3-year-old like I do) and transfer them outside. Plus the elements (and the critters) can be tough on a tiny sprout.
This year, I’ve done both. My tomatoes and peppers were plants when I bought them…my spicy greens and lima beans were seeds.
I also just planted some carrot and beet seeds I purchased at Strange’s. However, they’re not quite ready to pop out of the ground and deal with this Richmond heat wave.

1 comment:

  1. PLUS, when you start from seed you have a lot more options on what you can plant. Organizations like Seed Saver's Exchange have saved generations of seeds so that we can enjoy heirloom varieties. Also, you can pass the seeds down to your children if you save them year after year.

    ReplyDelete